Here’s some guidelines for setting up your clients RMR (Resting Metabolic Rate) test
The BodyGem takes a snapshot of your clients RMR or Metabolic Fingerprint in 5-10 minutes, so it’s important that your client is in a baseline, rested state.
NOTE: RMR = Resting Metabolic Rate and is also referred to as BMR = Basal Metabolic Rate
BodyGem® Measurement Protocol Checklist
RMR Test Conditions
In order to obtain an accurate RMR measurement,
clients must prepare for their appointment.
At the time of their appointment, clients must not have:
- Eaten for at least 4 hours (water is OK)
- Exercised for at least 4 hours
- Consumed caffeine for at least 4 hours.
- Consumed nutritional supplements or medications containing ephedra, Ma Huang, or pseudoephedrine for at least 4 hours.
- Used any form of nicotine for at least 1 hour
You or your staff must inform clients of the resting conditions when scheduling appointments.
You may wish to include the information on an appointment reminder card or when making confirmation phone calls the day before. Many of Microlife’s brochures also have the resting conditions printed on the back for quick reference.
RMR measurements should be conducted in a quiet, comfortable environment.
- A private office is ideal because outside distractions should be minimized during the measurement.
- Plug in the BodyGem device.
- Insert the single-use mouthpiece into flowtube.
- Place the BodyGem device upright on a flat surface, away from vents, fans, or forced air.
- Press the start button to begin self-calibration – do not move the BodyGem device during this period.
- Begin the measurement within one minute from the time the indicator light flashes green, and the device beeps once.
If the measurement is not started in time, device will go into standby mode
Place device upright on a hard, flat surface, and press the start button again to recalibrate
- Client has noseclip on and a tight seal around the mouthpiece.
- Individual is in a relaxed position and breathes normally throughout the measurement.
- Avoid distractions such as watching television or reading.
- Ask the individual to keep both feet on the floor and refrain from fidgeting during the duration of the measurement.
Measurement is complete when the BodyGem device beeps and the indicator light changes back to amber:
Record the Metabolic Fingerprint result displayed on the LCD screen.
Remove the noseclip and discard the single-use mouthpiece. Do not dislodge or discard the flowtube
RMR Test Time
You should allow 30 minutes for each RMR measurement appointment.
This allows for at least 15 minutes of resting upon arrival, 5-10 minutes for the RMR measurement, and 10-15 minutes to evaluate and explain the results to your client.
To get more information:
- Review the BodyGem information page
- Call me directly at 720-431-1461
- Or leave a voicemail at 1-866-285-8296 and I’ll call you back
I wish you the best of health!